6.5.04

More Guston

Things have really picked up at work, so there has been no blog time (which has never been very much time...). I am still enamored with Philip Guston, currently reading Night Studio by Musa Mayer, his daughter. This inside view, slightly removed, is fascinating.

Guston was a huge influence at the University of Iowa, where I went to grad school, because he was a visiting artist there for two years, in 1941-42. Even now, those two years reverberate through the program. Most notably, through a fellow U of I grad alumni, Hamlett Dobbins. There was this other guy named Gary Kormarin who muscled his way into a visiting artist gig at U of I with a 30-year old letter of recommendation from Guston.

It's strange, when I was there, I could hardly care less about Guston; and now that I'm nearly six years out of grad school, I'd give my eye teeth to look at the Guston collection the museum there has.

No comments: