13.1.09

New Adventure

So I finally made the jump. I bought yarn.

I know! I am so excited! I bought some pretty enough green wool -- I couldn't bring myself to by the acrylic Red Heart I knew would be good enough to learn on. Besides I wanted something I could make felted beads out of. I yearn for these felted beads.

My first attempt is a sad, lumpy affair, that I fully intend to rip out as soon as I am "done" when ever that is.

Problems I have encountered so far:

  • Casting on so tight I cannot possibly get the right needle in between the yarn and the left needle.
  • accidentally splitting the yarn when I insert the right needle to pick up the stitch.
  • having my last stitch be so loose, my edges have a weird, loopy quality
  • dropping stitches
  • and here is the worst one, because I can't for the life of me figure out how I am doing this: Mysteriously Increasing!! I cast on 20 stitches initially, and now I mysteriously have between 25 and 27 stitches. I have been just picking up two loops to try to decrease, of course I can't be bothered to find how to do it for real, and the result is quite lumpy.
I only know how to "knit" no "perl" yet. I owe it all to YouTube!

Tonight is my first Stitch n' Bitch at the Rowanoake. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, you taught yourself how to knit? I knew you would take to this like a duck in water. I will immediately boost your spirits tonight when I regale you with tales of my the most frustrated knitting teacher I took classes from. I just could not get it. Also many tales of lumpy things and scarfs that end of looking like diapers. You are well on your way, can't wait to see what you are up to!