24.8.09


Cajun got shod last Monday, and the shoes have made a big difference. I took him for a Lake Youngs trail ride on Sunday, and the big long rocky hill was not a problem. The main problem was we had been turning around before it in the past, because I did not want to risk his feet. So now when I asked him to go past the point where we turned around previously (twice) he had a little fit. They get habituated so quickly!

Cantering is still quite the effort for both of us, but now I think he is starting to enjoy it. I usually ask him to canter both ways, twice. This last time, when we went back to trotting exercises, he was much more eager to go forward, which is exactly what canter is supposed to do.

I still only do 45 minute sessions with him in the arena, his little brain can't take any more schoolin' than that. but our trail rides are usually for 2 hours, and the conditioning is starting to show.

No comments: