10.8.09

Saturday and Sunday

On Saturday I set up three trot poles and one super tiny cross rail - it was basically a "V" not an "X" . But it gave me a good idea about how Cajun will act trotting through standards.

We started out walking long and low - I say that but it is still mostly theory rather than actually being long and low. I can convince him to drop his head and lower his head and neck for a couple of steps. But that is a huge improvement over... not lowering his head and neck at all. Any way about 10 minutes walking. I do not ask for a forward walk, I just don't let him poke along like he'd rather.

Did trot / walk transitions, and regulated his trot for about 15 or 20 min. Trotted the poles probably 8 or ten times, then reversed and did the same. Did some circle work. coming along. Then at the end, I popped him over the cross rail. He did give it a look and wobble a bit on the approch, so he could trianulate on it, and then just trotted right over. Turned him around and hopped over the other way. I call that a good days work.

Sunday we went for a walk on the Lake Young's trail, because not every step needs to be shaped and controlled. We mostly just had a stroll, with some trots. He gets very forward on the trail, and just wants to pound off with his nose in the air, but is learning that even on the trail, the walk/trot transition lessons still apply.

I hosed him off completely, he was pretty dusty. He really likes playing with the hose. we had a nice hand graze, and lots of pats and treats.

No comments: