28.10.10

Wednesday was a rough lesson.

First, I had not ridden in a week, due to crush. Kip was totally scattered, blasting through my leg, trotting like a sewing machine, rooting, running me into walls and generally doing his best to ignore me. I admit I did let myself get frustrated. It did not help that Anne was having a frustrating day too, and really laid in to me about Smartpaks. It is a long and boring story, not worth going in to here, except to say that she harangued a little too long, well after I got the point -- NO SMARTPAKS. Alright already.

We decided to work in the indoor because Kip was being such a twerp. We had to get him listening. To improve the canter-trot transition, I need to ask on a turn -- a very definite turn, not a drift. He is still rough, but by the end of the evening, improving.

We also had 2 cavaleti 9' apart, at X -- Canter at B, turn at A (Look early!! look at P!) steady the canter, support with the outside leg, bring both hands to the right; canter the cavaletti, opening rein to the right to land on the right lead, turn to M, repeat.

He rushes this exercise so by the time we are over the second cavaleti, he's going Mach 5 into the turn. I need to sit up, NOT lean forward, and let him find his feet. He'll figure out it is easier if he goes more slowly.

Anyway this is the homework for the week.

And Jumper Group is Sunday -- So excited! squeek!

No comments: