19.7.09

Hittin' the trail

I couldn't have asked for Cajun to be better on the trail ride today. I decided to see how he would be by himself on the trail. We tacked up, and he gets pretty animated when I tack him up. I have been packing his fly strike sores with an antiseptic before applying fly wipe - he still does not like it, but I think if I am careful not to get any fly stuff in any open sores, eventually he will be ok about the fly spray. I walked him around once inside the indoor arena, the first time he'd been in there. He was pretty interested in the mirrors.

I got on and we set out. The jousters were practicing in the outdoor arena, so we stood there and watched them for a while.

Cajun was pretty good on the road, he would walk sideways and shy at some stuff, but no big deal. Except the goats. They were scary. He had to stop and give them a good snort.

The trail is very wide and clear, and in long, straight stretches that take 90 degree turns occasionally. He has a great, brisk walk - head up, ears forward, interested in everything, but always going forward, At the beginning of the ride, I was just letting him have a good look around and keep a nice, forward walk. Seriously, so far I have had no problem with him being lazy at all. He was eager, even wanting to trot. I didn't let him at first though. I wanted a good long, low stretchy walk - he is learning to stretch his neck down when I ask. He will have an excellent top line in no time.

He was very eager to catch up to who ever was in front of us on the trail--people walking, running, pushing strollers, walking the dog, bikers - then as soon as we passed them, he wanted to catch up to the next people. There were no other horses riding on the trail, but there are plenty of horses in pastures along there, and he was very interested in them, but never pulled toward them or got silly or strong around them. I kept him in a walk till we turned around.

When I did let him trot, he was ready to go, he wanted to move out. I would let him go fast, then I would ask him to shorten and lengthen as I wanted - he did pretty good. I also started leg-yielding him back and forth across the trail, he did really great. Only a tap now and then behind the leg to reinforce my aids. Still I mostly had him walk. He has a great, ground-covering stride. I don't know if it is just because everything is new and exciting, but this horse likes to go, he's just such a pleasure to ride.

We got back to the road and he was just fine on the way back to the barn, too. -even when some asshole kid HONKED HIS HORN as he drove by. I wanted to kill the little shit, but Cajun did not even care, because he was way too busy looking at the GOATS OMG WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS? But even in full blown high-alert, he is still so manageable and easy. Geeze, what a sweetheart.

We got back to the barn and the Jousters were done, and cooling their horses out. We chatted about him and they asked if he had any brothers or sisters around. They really like him a lot - totally jealous I can tell. He would look handsome in their medieval horse-drag, but Jousting is not on the agenda.

He is a lovely, forward horse. He is smart and sane and willing. I am so lucky! I love him!

No comments: