11.7.09

Imax's new chapter.


I recently came to a very hard decision - I gave Imax away.

I love him and he is a very talented jumper - awesome, really - but he can't take the pressure of showing right now. I don't think it is fair for me to keep pushing him, I feel like I want to progress much faster than he can go. Some day he is going to make one heck of an eventer, but he needs someone who will slow down and let him progress at his own pace.

He and I improved by leaps and bounds, and he tried so hard for me, but the freaking out at odd intervals became too much. He had always been very interested in other horses in the arena, but he started rearing and bolting when another horse was in there with him. He also started being very hard to load. I think it was because he knew we were going to take him to a new place and ask him to deal with new situations, and he just did not want to do that. I could deal with all his old problems, and they were getting better. But when he started just getting new problems, I realized he just did not want to do the same things I wanted to do. At least not yet.

I can't help but feel like I loosened the lid of the pickle jar, and if I would have just stuck it out a bit more something in his head would have gone "ping" and he suddenly would "get it" but I am getting old, and just can't get hurt. Or have someone else get hurt, even worse. His fits are big and scary.

I am gave him to a woman in Enumclaw with 10 acres. She'll give him a couple of months off to learn how to be a good member of a herd, and to just be a horse. She has a life time of horse experience, and has already done the show thing and is over it.

I have a contract with right of first refusal, and a "no auction, under any circumstances" clause in there. He went to his new home on Monday June 22.

No comments: