22.3.07

In the Garden

So on Monday it poured all day. This is remarkable only in that I had
planned to spend the day in the garden. Eventually I decided to go out
in the rain anyhow. I got totally covered in mud, and so did the dog,
but Look!! I now have a garden path down which I can easily be led.
Stepping Stones
The stones themselves are really pretty, they have mica in them so they are sparkly, and also beautiful rusty-red flecks and streaks.

Here is an action shot of the path:
down the garden path

King is not doing it right, he is supposed to have all his feet on the
stones, but the path is still new, and I think he will get the hang of
it. But still, it is not that hard.

And now the money shot:

bleeding heart.
the path leads right by the current Garden Star, my Bleeding Heart, Dicentra spectabilis

XXIII. IN THE GARDEN.

A bird came down the walk:
He did not know I saw;
He bit an angle-worm in halves
And ate the fellow, raw.

And then he drank a dew
From a convenient grass,
And then hopped sidewise to the wall
To let a beetle pass.

He glanced with rapid eyes
That hurried all abroad, --
They looked like frightened beads, I thought;
He stirred his velvet head

Like one in danger; cautious,
I offered him a crumb,
And he unrolled his feathers
And rowed him softer home

Than oars divide the ocean,
Too silver for a seam,
Or butterflies, off banks of noon,
Leap, plashless, as they swim.

Emily Dickinson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The bleeding heart is the most beautiful thing I have seen. What a glorious day - you and King in the garden.